Monday, July 25, 2016

My Journey Into Adulthood

What do you do again?

In less than a week, I will begin an adventure that takes me out of the classroom and into the district building. In an amazing turn of events, I have been given an opportunity to serve my district as an ELA strategist. Not having done it before, I'm not sure how to explain it when someone asks me, "What do you do?" It used to be easy. Everyone understands, "I'm a teacher." There are no further questions (except when I would say, "I teach middle school"; then the follow-up question would often be, "Why?"). But now, if I am asked what I do and I reply, "I'm an ELA strategist," I expect to get blank looks, followed by the polite, "Ohhhh."

The best I can predict at this point is that an ELA strategist is somewhat of a literacy coach. I will work with teachers at middle schools throughout the district, offering them strategies, assistance, advice, and support. I will help write district assessments, and I will facilitate professional development.

Hits

I am over-the-moon excited about this new chapter in my education career. Here are just some of the things I am looking forward to:
* Walking into a building -- an actual office building -- full of adults. There will be no screaming, no running, no jumping, no gum on the floor or furniture, and no Sharpie messages written on bathroom walls.
* Adult conversations. I probably will not hear "OMG," "YOLO," or "Dead!" worked into daily conversations. I will be able to use normal adult vocabulary without hearing, "You use big words, Miss," or, "What does _____ mean?"
* Adult behavior. We'll all be dressed professionally and will behave in a calm, professional manner, with professional politeness and courtesy. Total professionalism.
* No bells. No need to explain.
* Bladder freedom. I expect that I will be able to use the restroom at times other than strictly 10:53 and 12:22.

Misses

And here are some of the things I will miss:
* Walking into my very own classroom -- a classroom I built into a community of eager, smiling kids.



* Conversations with my kids. Once you get to know your students, they truly become your kids, and talking with them is fulfilling, often awe-inspiring.
* Acting silly. I have taught class dressed as a witch, worn a propeller hat, danced around the classroom, taught in bare feet, taught in silly accents -- and it was so much fun. Basically, I got to be a kid again and relive my middle-school years (without being bullied). It was magnificent.
* Bells. Interestingly enough, the bells meant a schedule, and I operate well on a planned-out schedule. The bells were an audible reminder of what's next and that the day was progressing.
* I will not miss bladder constriction.


A whole new world

As you can see, it's a little bittersweet. All of the things I'm looking forward to have the corresponding flip-side of things I'll miss (except the restroom thing -- seriously, you can tell I'm old by how excited I am to be able to use the restroom as often as I need to). I look forward to blogging about my transition to this adult world -- an adult world from which I have been on hiatus since I worked in a corporate profession eight years ago. It will be especially interesting for me to observe how I handle leaving the classroom and working closely with teachers instead of students.

Am I ready for this?

...TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Post a Comment